Since husband and I are getting ready for our 3 week trip to Europe I thought it would be great idea to share my tips on packing for vacation. I started doing it about 5 years ago and I would never go to old ways..
1. Pick the lightest suitcase possible, everyone knows that airlines charge an arm and a leg if you go over the allowed weight limit. All those suitcases that look like pretty shiny boxes (I think some made out of Polycarbonate or aluminum, hard shell suitcases) are heavy without even you starting filling them in! That’s why I always choose the lightest and the least expensive suitcase (which happens to be made from fabric) because you can pack more clothes!!! I personally don’t own any expensive brand luggage for once I traveled quite often to see the way our luggage been handled so why spend money on luggage that could be abused?
2. A Packing list is very important. It’s the safe way to ensure that nothing important is forgotten, plus it gives me enough time to buy any additional items I need. Who wants to leave for the Caribbean without the only swimsuit you love?
3. When packing don’t just throw random clothes in your luggage thinking you are going to figure out the whole outfit while on vacation. No no no – no one has the time for this on vacation!!! We are there to have fun and look good. So what I begin doing is that about few weeks before my vacation (you can even start earlier than that) start putting together outfits and I do take pictures so that I don’t forget what goes with what. You can be as detailed as you wish with this process and add jewelry and shoes to it. I make this process fun and enjoyable, I call it my “closet night” I turn the music up and pour myself a glass of wine and ideas just keep pouring out of me…. This is just little visual of what my packing looks like….
4. I pack my clothes in separate bags so it keeps things more organized and also if you are carrying bottles with shampoo, lotions, etc. and they get damaged it won’t get all over your clothes.
5. Since our trip will be 3 weeks long each of us are planning to bring one carry – on and one check-in luggage but usually if I go for less than a week I only bring carry -on luggage with me or the rule is one checked in bag for the family. You probably heard many stories about luggage being lost or delayed because of some airline hiccups… well try not to ruin your vacation if something like this happens to you. That’s why I suggest to always pack half of your pre-organized outfits in your carry-on luggage. I personally don’t want anything to get in a way of me and my vacation.
Most important rule not to forget to pack your speedos when traveling in Europe!!!!!
Great ideas! Have a great time!! I’ll miss you at the gym!
Thank you Kim!!! Will miss you too and see you in 4 weeks!!!